Seeds of Change


Sign up for our e-newsletter! Information, news and exclusive offers for your organic lifestyle delivered fresh to your inbox.

Welcome to Seeds of Exchange Blog - A blog for the discussion of biodiversity, sustainable agriculture and incredibly delicious organic food

Friday, July 13, 2007

Going Beyond Organic Food Standards


Hello, my name is Karen Castiello, and I’m responsible for Food Product Development at Seeds of Change. I’ve been with the company for two very exciting and fast-paced years, but I’m new to the organic industry. Truthfully, I had never heard of Seeds of Change until I went for that first job interview. But as I researched the company, its mission to promote sustainable agricultural practices intrigued me. I grew up on a small farm in the Midwest, so I have a real appreciation for what a difficult lifestyle farming can be -- and farming organically makes it all the more challenging.

What I’d like to talk about today is how Seeds of Change is striving to be 100% organic in as many products as possible. That might sound obvious since all our products are already certified organic. But you may be surprised to know that the USDA Organic Standards state that up to five percent of the ingredients in an organic food product can actually be non-organic. These non-organic ingredients usually consist of USDA approved synthetics and natural, non-organic ingredients that do things like keep a salad dressing from separating or aid in thickening or firming.

The synthetics are used in very small amounts. Nonetheless, Seeds of Change has chosen to avoid using the allowed synthetic ingredients whenever possible. This means product developers like me have to seek out alternative organic solutions, and we challenge our ingredient suppliers to do the same.

Occasionally we have to make some compromises: our salad dressing might separate a little more than if we’d used synthetics. But it will taste great, and we’ll sleep better knowing we went the extra mile to make each product as truly organic as possible. We’re not yet at the 100% organic mark in every last product, but it’s a goal we’ll be able to achieve in the very near future.

Another objective at Seeds of Change is to create food that’s nutritionally responsible. That means minimizing the use of salt and sugar, limiting the amount of fat in our products to nine grams per serving or less, and using whole grains whenever we can.

Reducing the fat, sugar and salt means a greater reliance on herbs, spices and ingredients that create savory notes such as mushrooms, concentrated broths, eggplant and even figs. To find ways of layering flavor complexity into a dish, we’ve done research on various ethnic cuisines and regional cooking practices. We’ve even, on occasion, asked our mothers for advice. (I tried to convince my boss that attending cooking school in Italy was an absolute necessity but it seems he’s going to take a bit more convincing.) Once again, it’s more work to create dishes this way, but we believe it’s the right thing to do. And we think our customers feel the same way.

Finally, there’s the challenge of finding interesting organic ingredients in a commercially-available organic form to create a dish. It’s one thing to gather the necessary ingredients to create an organic meal for your family; it’s quite another to source ingredients in the quantities necessary to create organic meals for hundreds, even thousands, of families.

To that end, our ingredient buyer has been challenged to find things like South American peppers, multiple colors of amaranth and quinoa, and a variety of vegetables that you typically can’t find outside of a farmer’s market. Luckily, over the last couple years we’ve noticed a real increase in the number of commercially-available organic ingredients, and more and more interesting options are presenting themselves. There are some pretty incredible red carrots and blue and cranberry-colored potatoes in the Seeds of Change seed catalog that I just know would make a great snack or entrée. It’s just a matter of finding a grower who’s willing to plant them. (Which takes us back to that first train of thought: It’s not easy being a farmer — and it can be even harder when someone’s trying to convince you to plant blue potatoes!)

So that’s a little peek inside product development at Seeds of Change. We’ll keep you posted as we work to achieve our goal of making every delicious Seeds of Change product 100% organic. And in the meantime we’ll continue to provide truly healthy products made with a wide variety of interesting ingredients.

Thanks for reading and happy eating!

Join the discussion by posting a comment below. Only comments specifically addressing issues discussed in the Seeds of Change blog post will be posted. If you have a question or comment for Seeds of Change that is unrelated to this blog, please use either our Organic Foods Contact Us page or our Organic Seed and Gardening Contact Us page so we may respond to you accordingly. Business propositions sent to this blog will not be reviewed.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to know that you are striving to be 100% organic.

It would be great if you would post an article on the packaging used on Seeds of Change products. Where the materials come from, if any are recycled, what types of plastics, how these kinds of decisions are made, etc.

Anonymous said...

I love Seeds of Change. It is so wonderful to have a brand that is striving to be organic and makes such great products. I love the new simmer sauces because they give so much flavor to healthy eating.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this posting. It's really great to see how a company makes decisions on ingredients they put in their products. Especially since organic ingredients may be harder to work with. I love your chocolate and can't wait to try the indian cooking sauces.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Karen. I too am fairly new to "organic" living. I came across Seeds of Change a couple of years ago when I decided to start using organic seeds to start transplants for my vegetable garden. I was so intrigued by the standards Seeds of Change spouted! They exemplified just what I felt. If you're going to do the organic thing, then do it ALL the way! Because several of my friends and family members are also trying to "go organic" with their foods, and because there are very few organic farmers at our local Farmer's Markets, I decided to start a business offering organic seeds, organic transplants, and organic produce, primarily for local consumers. Seeds of Change played a big part in my decision, because they offer such a wide variety of organic seeds. After reading your blog, I've decided I'm going to try those blue potatoes next year (smile). Maybe they'll become one of my 'specialty' transplants!

Khürt Williams said...

I have Type 1 diabetes and I strive to keep my carbohydrate intake within a certain range to minimize rapid swings in blood glucose levels. I was disappointed that only a few of your products had whole grains but I know that you are striving to change that.

I have only tried one of your food product, the French Herb Quinoa blend and I totally love it. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I GET VERY GOOD INFORMATION ON ORAGANIC SEEDS. NOW I AM ALSO A BECOME A GROWER FOR ORGANIC SEEDS IN MY COUNTRY.IN FUTURE OUR COUNTRY COMING REVALUTIONAL FOR ORGANIC FOOD PRODUCTS.SO PLEASE ANY ONE HAVE THEIR INFORMATION ABT ORGANIC SEEDS ORGANISATION OR SUPPLY OF ORGANIC SEEDS PLZ INFARM 2ME. I WANT MORE INFORMATION ABT THE ORAGANIC FARMING. MY E-MAIL; aahaa65@sify.com. so plz send their valuable information 2me without fail.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

Whilst it is wonderful to hear of companies striving to be 100% organic, I am sure you will know, that organic does not necessarily mean healthy!

As a student nutritionist, I am careful about what products I buy and currently, I feel unable to buy the Seeds of Change soup, due to the high levels of salt they contain. This was recently highlighted in a UK national newspaper. Of 576 soups tested, Seeds of Change had the highest salt levels, taking 3 of the top 5 spots. This is very disappointing, particularly, as you state in your blog that you minimise the use of salt, sugar and fat in your products.

It appears that some of you soups have more than 0.6g of salt in 100g. I have just eaten a very tasty organic soup, with 0.058g salt per 100g. This means your soup has more than 10 times the level of salt than the one I have just eaten!

It would be really great if Seeds of Change could work to reduce their salt levels for the benefit of all of us.

Anonymous said...

I'm lactose intolerant and don't know whether it is safe to eat your pasta or not. I realise if it contains eggs or milk, they will be organic produce, which is great, but it doesn't help that your packaging does not contain any relevant allergy advice. Would be good to know what's safe for me to eat.

Tiny Dancer said...

Thank you for your feedback!

We thrive to make our foods as organically as possible, but also as nutritiously responsible as possible.

For the soups, we have reformulated our products to fit within the FSA targets.

For our rice products, we are currently working on making them all whole grain!

As for allergy information, you can find that on our website. We are also working on having that information be easier to reference on our package.

Thanks for your continual feedback. Keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

I commend your efforts and appreciate them so much!!!!!!

Fully organic products are what we strive to purchase. There has a lot of products we've stopped buying because of the mysterious emulsifiers and the like.

We are happy to support companies that truly have organic standards.

Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

I, and my spouse old farts that we are strive to eat healthy in a sensible way. I have used some of Seeds of Change products but many are still not in the ' healthy ' range when considering sodium. There are some products with astronomical levels of salt yet claim to be healthy- not so. I agree that most mainstream products have this additive as well, but I would expect better from this company~

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!